Monday, August 31, 2009

Episode 15 - The Nathan Fielder Experience



To listen to episode 15, click here.

When I was in university, I wanted to write for television. I imagined being the next David E. Kelly. I had this idea to create a series about ordinary people, like Sri Lankan dishwashers and gawky substitute teachers. Unfortunately UVic's writing program didn't focus on that style of writing so I gave up on that dream. (I write the news for City TV on occassion, but it's totally different.) So it was real neat to meet Nathan Fielder. The Vancouver-born comedian has been writing for TV since he was 23. (He's now 26.) He currently lives in LA where he writes for Important Things with Demetri Martin.

I also share an anecdote about a weird chain of restaurants here and their unavoidable hostesses.

I had some technical problems with my audio, which is why my intro sounds like I'm in an echo chamber but I kind of like it.

Also on this episode, I got my writing partner Ayma Letang to sit in and help me find my voice. Here's a picture of her and her beautiful cheekbones.

Next episode will be devoted entirely to Paul Anthony, everyone's favourite man about town. Until then, check back here for news. There's some coming on the way. And check out the Links to Click section, cause they are all worth clicking. Today I added my dear friend Sarah Steinberg's blog, which is one of my most favourite blogs ever. She's real funny and smart and stylish.

No comments: